Madison County, Mississippi

Madison County Information

The land that became Madison County was purchased from the Choctaw Indians in the Treaty of Doak's Stand on October 18, 1820. This area, known as the New Purchase was organized into Hinds County on February 12, 1821. On January 21, 1823, Yazoo County was formed from part of Hinds County, including most of what would later form the northern and western parts of Madison County. Madison County was formed by an act of the state legislature on January 29, 1828, from a portion of Yazoo County. On February 5, 1829, a portion of northern Hinds County was added to Madison County. On December 23, 1833, the part of Mississippi east of the Choctaw Treaty Line was formed into Leake and other counties. A piece of land east of the Choctaw boundary was added to Madison County. On February 22, 1840, Madison County assumed its final shape when portions of Madison County were removed and added to Hinds and Attala Counties. Madison County is bordered on the Northwest by the Big Black River and Yazoo County, on the north by Holmes and Attala Counties, on the East by Leake County, on the Southeast by the Pearl River, Ross Barnett Reservoir, Scott and Rankin Counties, and on the south and west by Hinds county. The county consists of 713.45 square miles of land and 37.55 square miles of water. The 1990 population was 53,794. The southern part of the county is primarily urban. The city of Ridgeland is a bedroom community of Jackson and consists of a mix of commercial shopping areas, apartments, and residences. The city of Madison is also a bedroom community of Jackson. It is primarily residential with an emphasis on planned development. The town of Flora is a rural farm community with an industrial area located north of town at Kearney Park. The city of Canton is a mix of residential and light commercial properties along with government operations. The central part of the county is primarily agriculture, although an industrial park is located in the Gluckstadt area. The northern part of the county is primarily forest products related.

 The first county seat was designated in 1828 as Madisonville, located near the Natchez Trace and Pearl River. After the railroads were built in the 1850s, Madisonville disappeared as people moved to the railroad towns. Due to political fighting, the town was never occupied as a county seat; and the old Yazoo County seat of Beatties Bluff, located on the Big Black River, was used. Beatties Bluff no longer exists and has reverted to forest. The next county seat was Livingston, located at the current intersection of State Highways 22 and 463. A church is still located at the site and the outline of the court square can still be seen. Livingston, selected in 1829, served officially as the county seat until 1835 and unofficially until 1858. A jail and a courthouse were built by 1833. The courthouse was used until 1858. Canton, the current county seat, was designated in 1836. A courthouse is listed in old records as existing in Canton in 1834. A second courthouse was built in 1837. A brick courthouse was constructed in 1854-1855 and occupied in 1857. This building survived the War Between the States and was used until 1994, when in 1996 a new courthouse was constructed two blocks north of the old one. The old courthouse is now used by the Chamber of Commerce. Madison County is served by Interstate Highways 55 and 220, U. S. Highways 49 and 51, State Highways 16, 17, 22, 43, and 463, and the Natchez Trace Parkway. The Canadian National Railway provides rail service on two lines in the county. Bruce Campbell Airport, located in Madison, Mississippi provides local air service. Jackson International Airport is located near Pearl, Mississippi, approximately five miles southeast of Madison County.

 U. S. CENSUS BUREAU POPULATION INFORMATION
Locations 1990 2000
Madison County Total 53,794 74,674
City of Canton 10,062 12,911
Town of Flora 1,482 1,546
City of Jackson 727 na
City of Madison 7,471 14,692
City of Ridgeland 11,714 20,173
Rural Madison County 22,338 25,352

 

* Inside Madison County only

 Unincorporated named areas include Algoma, Allison's Wells, Anderson, Annandale, Baconville, Ballard, Battle Springs, Beatties Bluff, Bethel School, Buckhorn, Calhoun (Calhoun's Station), Camden, Cameron, Cedar Hill, Charlton, Cloud, Cobbville, Cotton, Couparle (Couparle City), Davis (Davis Crossing), Deerfield, Farmhaven, Gluckstadt, Haleytown, Jerome, Kearney Park, Kentuctah, Kirkwood, Lake Caroline, Lake Cavalier, Lake Lorman, Lake Naomi, Lake Stephens, Livingston, Livingston Springs, Loring, Lottville, Madisonville, Mannsdale, Meltonville, Mill Town, Millville, Moore's Ferry, Morey, Mount Olympus, Oaks, Passonia, Prattville, Ragin, Ratliffs Ferry, Raytown, Revive, Richton, Robinson Springs, Rocks, Rocky Hill, Rose Hill Center, Sharon, Sharpsburg, Shoccoe, Sloan, Smith School (School House), Smithville, Stokes, Sulphur Springs, Tin Top, Tithelo, Tougaloo, Truitt, Turnetta, Vernon, Virlillia, and Way (Ways Bluff).

 LOCAL ATTRACTIONS
  •  Canton Flea Market - 2nd Thursday in May and October
  • Mississippi Petrified Forest - Flora
  • Ross Barnett Reservoir
  • Natchez Trace Parkway
  • Mississippi Championship Hot Air Balloon Fest - Canton, July 4th weekend
  • Heatwave Triathlon - Ridgeland - June
  • Southern Farm Bureau P.G.A. Golf Classic - October
  • Antebellum Homes tour - Canton
  • Gluckstadt German Fest - September
  • A Day in the Country - Mannsdale - Chapel of the Cross
  • Old Courthouse - Canton
  • Old Jail - Canton
  • Canton Depot restoration and museum
  • Flora Depot restoration
  • Ridgeland Crafts Center - Natchez Trace